Recreational steelhead season begins December 1st (this Friday)!
We are looking forward to another year of steelhead fishing on the central coast.
MBSTP would like to encourage those of you fishing this season to participate in the CDFW Angler Survey program. Angler Survey Boxes have been installed at several access locations in watersheds throughout Santa Cruz and San Mateo Counties. These boxes contain short surveys for anglers to fill out at the end of a day of fishing, and the information shared (even if no fish were caught) helps CDFW make informed management decisions on area fisheries. Angler effort and success rate are major factors in understanding the importance of the local angling community and our relationship with area fish populations, and this participation in the angler survey program will help MBSTP fulfill its mission of restoring steelhead populations in the Monterey Bay region.
CDFW Angler Survey Boxes can be found at the following river access points:
- Aptos Creek: Forest of Nisene Marks State Park at the steel bridge near George’s Picnic Area
- San Lorenzo River: Henry Cowell Redwood State Park at Rincon Trail
- San Lorenzo River: Henry Cowell Redwood State Park at Ox Trail
- San Lorenzo River: Henry Cowell Redwood State Park at North Big Trees Park Rd bridge crossing
- San Lorenzo River: Highland County Park at the picnic area
- Pescadero Creek (lagoon): Pescadero Marsh Natural Preserve State Park at staircase leading to main parking lot
- San Gregorio Creek (lagoon): San Gregorio State Beach at trail leading down to lagoon from main parking lot
Good luck to everyone fishing this season, see you on the river!